Friday, September 5, 2008

03/09/08

First off, let me say my apologies for the delay on posting. Wednesday was Liz’s birthday! After foolishly waking up for my 9 a.m. class, which wasn’t actually meeting that day, I headed back to the flat with high expectations for the rest of the day with one of my best friends. Dave and I accompanied Liz to Wellington Square in Chelsea to her old home. It was a beautiful day, with soft light and the neighborhood was absolutely charming. Liz seemed to be in heaven, while Dave and I just seemed to follow, enjoying our own time in a mental solitude so to say. The Westminster Underground station was especially cool in comparison to most. We only saw it to transfer to the District line, but I found the lighting and architecture unlike any of the other stations; it looked like the Metro in D.C. almost. After we saw her old house and walked around for quite a while we went back home and had beautiful dinner, all vegetarian for Liz of course. We then had our first pre-bar in the flat, which was a ton of fun. The night went on and needless to say it was crazy.





04/09/08

Thursday was a very slow day. I was, how do you say, tired. Me, Luke and Dave removed ourselves from our beds and traveled over to Faraday House for our 2 p.m. photo class, as if 2 p.m. seemed like 2 a.m.. That was probably the most productive thing I did all day. I enjoyed sitting in class more in the state of mind I was in because I felt very focused on certain things more intently. It was easy to listen to one voice, rather than be bothered to move, talk to other people or make many comments. I was thinking clearly, but let me tell you when it came down to speaking, the words were not coming out. I feel we all have days like those, regardless of what we do the night before. I went to be early, excited to see Stonehenge in the morning.


05/09/08

Friday, me, Luke, Ada and Graham went to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral along with many other students at Faraday. The bus ride was hard to sleep on, but I really enjoyed listening to our teacher and guide for the day, Richard. His British accent and aged voice put me in a very sedative mood, but had very interesting things to say, especially on the history of London. I really enjoyed a set of buildings he pointed out as we headed away from the city. They were artists’ studios, which had large windows with beautiful craftsmanship, and were especially tall, so that the artists could bring large canvas into the flat safely and easily. Once we got to the Cathedral, I was mostly excited to get off the bus, but it was strange going into a church after letting so many years of not going, but it was absolutely gorgeous building inside. The stained glass windows are what always get me. I didn’t find them something I was drawn to photograph necessarily, but I could look at them all day long. I was trying to find special moments and different shots in the Cathedral, purely because I didn’t want touristy shots and I knew everyone else was on top of each other shooting. I luckily got a shoot of a mother, Helene and her daughter Talia Halton, looking up closely at a to scale model of the Cathedral when it was being built. They are visiting England with the rest of their family from Ottawa, Canada. The town of Salisbury was really cute, but it was so easy to tell the parts of town that have been around for centuries and the parts from the past 5 years. Luke and I ate at this old Inn. The food was pretty bad, but the place was very quaint.

No comments: